Keto-Mojo Review- Is It The Best Gadget For Keto’ers?
Testing meters take the guesswork out of the low-carb diet by showing your state of ketosis. Measuring your blood-ketone levels can help you monitor and eventually improve your results.
You’ve probably heard about Keto-Mojo, the new, FDA-approved keto/diabetes monitor that claims to be the most accurate yet. With all of the “kickass ketonian” promotions, YouTube videos, and reviews on the web, it’s hard to tell what’s accurate and what’s not.
That’s why we created this Keto-Mojo review. We’ll cover the facts based on our own experience and research so you can make an informed decision before buying.
What is Keto-Mojo?
The Keto-Mojo monitor is one of the newest (and most popular) devices that let’s you quickly and accurately measure your blood ketone and glucose levels.
Like most keto monitoring devices, it measures the level of beta-hydroxybutyrate in your blood via a test strip that you insert into the reader.
It claims to be the most accurate and affordable reader, which is a breath of fresh air in a market dominated by big-name players. In the past, such accuracy would easily have cost several hundred dollars.
Readings are given in millimolar concentration or mmol, which is the medical measurement standard for ketones.
With it, you can get fast and accurate readings of your:
NOTE: Although a ketone-blood level of 1.5-3.0 mmol is recommended, everyone’s body is different. Listen to yours. If you feel good, are losing weight, and have lots of energy (like you should on the keto lifestyle), then don’t pay too much attention to your reading.
Why All the Hype Surrounding it?
In the beginning, we were pretty skeptical. Measuring your blood-ketone level isn’t necessary, and most readers claim to be fast and accurate.
However, we were surprised at how quickly it gave us our reading. We even tried multiple times in a row to test accuracy, and the readings were all similar. Aside from the accurate readings, there were a few things we liked about the device:
- FDA-Approval: Keto-Mojo is FDA-approved for managing T1, T2, and gestational diabetes.
- 4 Daily Alarms: You can make sure to test at the same times daily by setting 4 alarms.
- Affordable Strips: Each one costs next to nothing, so you can test several times per day without breaking the bank.
- Large Backlit LCD Screen: We found the screen easy to read even in dim light after dinner.
Aside from that, the product has a lifetime warranty and the strips are good for 18 months.
What Could’ve Been Better About Keto-Mojo?
Aside from the fact that you have to prick yourself and watch blood cascade from your fingertip (slight exaggeration), not everything was perfect about it. Here are a few things we think you should be aware of:
- Blood Testing Can be a Bit Expensive: It’s not that expensive, but once you add up purchasing the device and the strips, it can get a little pricey. Not a fair criticism though, since Keto-Mojo is more affordable than competitors. If you are going to check your blood, it is a good choice price-wise.
- You Have to Code the Device: Before you get started, you have to pre-code your machine. You just place the code strip into the top of the meter and you’re ready to go. It’s really simple to use, but we found a lot of people forgot this step and wasted a few of them.
Keto-Mojo vs Precision Xtra
If Keto-Mojo is the young and hungry newcomer, Precision Xtra is the veteran in the industry. This fast and straightforward reader provides reasonably accurate results without any coding. A few of the pros that have helped it gain a significant following are:
- 10-Second Results
- No Coding Necessary
- Easy to Use Strips
We have to say that Keto Mojo is the superior choice for testing, though. Not only is the functionality more complete and the design sleeker, but the strips are also a lot more affordable. The ones for Precision Xtra can be up to 5 times more expensive than those for Keto-Mojo.
How to Use Keto-Mojo
For a device with high functionality, we were impressed with how easy it was to get our first reading. Even with coding, you are ready to go in a few minutes:
- Quick Set-Up: Open the battery hatch in the back, and you’ll find a little yellow button next to the batteries. Press it with a pencil to set up your device. Press it once to set the time and date and use the front main button to increase the day, month, year, or time of day. Press it several more times to cycle through alarms, reader settings, backlit settings, etc. For quick setup, you don’t need to adjust any of these options. Note that you will have to set up the year correctly of you will be getting error messages saying that your strips have expired.
- Precode Your Device: Place the code strip into the top of the reader. This needs to be done with the start of each ketone vial.
- Use Your Lancet: Twist off the top cap of the cylindrical device, and place a lancet in the top. You can now adjust the hat to select the depth (if you have tough skin, choose a deeper setting). Pull the handle down to prepare the device and press the button in the center to use it. Be sure to use the top side of your finger and not the front pad. Trust us; it hurts less.
- Take Your Reading: Place a strip into the device and wait for it to be verified. Then, touch your finger to the top of the thing so it can suck up your blood sample and get a reading. That’s it!
Where to Buy Keto Mojo?
You have several options when it comes to finding the best prices, but the most reliable option for us has been Amazon.
While you can find it available on eBay and other online sellers, there is always a risk that you can end up with a fake product. And the last thing you want is for a device like this to give you the wrong readings.
If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, then you could have yours ready to use by the next day. It doesn’t get much better than that.
So after our research, we agree that Keto-Mojo is the best reader on the market. Compared to competitors, it is much more affordable in the long term (cheap strips!), easier to use, and more functional. The readings came in fast and accurately. If you want to measure your ketone levels (or glucose), there’s no better choice than this one.