Tried Keto diet but not losing weight? These might be the reasons
Worldwide, millions of people are on Keto diet and most of them are losing weight and getting healthy.
However, there is also a significant number of people who are not losing weight as expected. In some rare cases, people are not losing any weight at all no matter how hard they try.
In this post, I will explain some of the most fundamental but often ignored factors and life habits that are preventing you from losing weight effectively.
1. Not Getting Enough Sleep
Your body associates the lack of sleep with high stress. As your body detects an increase in stress, it starts to store more and more fat leading to weight gain. This stress is relieved when you get enough sound sleep.
Getting enough sleep is so important because not only it helps you to lose weight effortlessly, it is also directly associated with:
- Mental health
- Immune system
- Memory loss
- Anger management
- Communication skill
- Social and family relationship
- Thinking capacity
Another important fact about getting enough sleep is that quality of sleep matters as much as the time of sleep. You may sleep 8 hours a day but if you keep on waking multiple times during your sleep, you won’t see any benefit.
Sleeping 5-6 hours a day without any disturbance is equivalent to sleeping 8 hours with disturbances.
Few ways you can improve quality of your sleep
- Maintain light and temperature: Your room must be as dark as possible to get sound sleep. The temperature must be maintained at around 18°C or 65°F.
- Soundproof your room.
- Don’t use electronics at least 1 hour before going to bed: If it is absolutely necessary, use the blue light filter on your smartphone or use f.lux app on PC.
- Read a book before going to bed: Reading books calms you down but also you may get interested in the book’s plot and get hooked longer. Reading a book that you have already read actually works better.
- Do not exercise just before going to bed.
- Take a heavy breakfast and light dinner.
- Avoid caffeine at least 2 hours prior to going to bed.
- Sleep sideways preferably on your left side: This is the most scientific sleeping position for the best results.
If you are having trouble falling asleep or if it takes a lot of time to fall asleep after going to bed because of various thoughts, following tips (in combination with the above) will work well.
- Clearing thoughts: The main reason why most of can sleep is that we can’t stop thinking. Whenever I ask someone how can I clear my thoughts, they simply say think nothing. How on earth is it possible to think nothing? My brain has to think. Every second. It just does.
Later, I cracked a working method. The trick is to think of an absolutely dark room. Nothing but the darkness. If your mind diverts to somewhere else, just bring it back to this dark room once you realize it. It takes some time to master this trick but will be absolutely worth the effort.
- Don’t think that you can’t sleep well: Your psychology plays the most important role. If you keep thinking you can’t sleep well, you can’t sleep well. Just make yourself believe that you can sleep well or at least fake it till you make it.
- Do not move, not even an inch: It is one of the best working methods to sleep faster used by the military.
The idea is whenever you go to sleep, make yourself comfortable. Start by relaxing head, neck, shoulders, and continue to your legs. Then do not move. Not even an inch. Do not change your sides. You will eventually fall asleep.
2. Drinking Enough Water
You may have heard that you should drink 8 glass or 2 litres (68 ounces) water a day.
While it is true that this amount of water is enough to get you hydrated, it is much lower than the amount you should drink for optimum weight loss.
You should be drinking around 5 liters (169 ounces) of water per day for optimum results.
Water basically helps to boost metabolism, maintain energy level, and brain activity.
Here are a few facts about drinking water obtained from scientific studies and research by very reliable sources.
- One study showed that dieters who drank 17 ounces (500 ml) of water before each meal lost 44% more weight over 12 weeks, compared to those who didn’t. source
- According to two studies, drinking 17 ounces (500 ml) of water can temporarily boost metabolism by 24–30%. source
- The researchers estimated that drinking 68 ounces (2 liters) in one day increased energy expenditure by about 96 calories per day.
- It may be beneficial to drink cold water because your body will need to expend more calories to heat the water to body temperature.
- Drinking water about a half-hour before meals can also reduce the number of calories you end up consuming, especially in older individuals. source source
Facts accumulated from healthline.com
Besides water is also proven beneficial for remedy of a handful of conditions such as:
- Kidney stones
- Acne and skin hydration.
3. Daily Activities and Carbs Intake
Keto diet basically refers to high Fat and “low” Carbohydrate intake. But “low” does not signify any number because how much can be considered as low depends upon situation.
If you are an athletic person exercising and running or jogging every day, even 100-200 grams of carbs per day is low. Similarly, if you are not doing any physically demanding work, 30 gm of carbs per day is more than enough.
If you are not tracking your carbs intake, you may have been consuming a lot of carbs than you could possibly imagine.
One small piece of cake or any high sugar or processed food easily contains much more carbs than a plate full of vegetables. It may look obvious but once you start tracking your carbs intake, it may turn out to be huge especially if you are addicted to chocolates, soda, and any other food that contain high sugar.
Also, the small activities we do everyday matter a lot. For example, if you walk to buy your groceries instead of taking a car, choose stairs instead of the lift/elevator, etc., you can easily lose hundreds of extra calories every day.
4. Proper Use of Supplements
Supplements are bad if you totally depend upon them and prefer not to do any extra effort on your side.
But, if you use the supplements right way, they can greatly influence the results you get.
While choosing supplements you should:
- Avoid supplements that have illogical claims like- you can lose 5 pounds in 10 days.
- Avoid supplements that use non-verified ingredients that are potentially dangerous.
- Avoid MLMs like Pruvit so that you don’t end up wasting a lot of money on products that don’t work.
Supplements can be especially useful if you are experiencing keto side effects such as head ache, digestion issue, feeling tired, etc.
I have personally used Perfect KETO and highly recommend to you too.
If you want the list of best working Ketone supplements, you can read my list of Top 10 best keto supplements.